5.11.2015

Interiors | DIY pillow cover


I have been making simple pillow covered since I was little. I would collect fun vintage fabric and hand sew them. When I turned 13 my grandma gifted me a sewing machine, that made making pillows so much faster! 
In this post I am going to show you the most simple and easy pillow cover that is fool proof. It is a simple 'envelope' style cover that slips over a pillow form without a zipper. I love making pillow covers because its so easy and it can change the look of a room simply by adding a POP of color or texture!

Below is what you need::



This pillow patter is for an 18" x 18" pillow cover.  I cut my pieces at exactly 18" because I like my pillows 'stuffed' so with the seam allowance the cover will be about 1/2" smaller. If you like your covers loose, simply add 1/2" for your seam allowance.

Once you have your three pieces cut you will create a hem on the two back pieces by 
folding it over twice along the 18" length side- then pin & sew. 

Next you will create a 'pillow sandwich' with the bottom being your front piece with 'good side' face up. Next lay your smaller back piece 'good side' down, lastly the large back piece with 'good side' down as well. Pin all the way around & sew.



Make sure to back stitch over your side seams to reinforce the envelope opening. This prevent the opening from ripping when stuffing the pillow cover. Then clip the 4 corners at a diagonal, this creates sharp corners with you turn your cover right side out.

That's it! Right?! So easy, you can make a cover in less then an hour! Happy sewing! :D

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment